Friday, May 29, 2009

Award Ceremony for 3rd Grade today!

It is really hard to believe that my little baby is now going to be in the 4th grade! I am so proud of her and the person she is and has become. Her heart is the size of Texas and she brings so much happiness and laughter whereever she is or is with everyday!

This year has certainly been challenging and so much different than 2nd grade for many reasons. I will say that I understand why parents decide to home school. Now let me explain, here in Texas we have the TAKs test which starts in 3rd grade. This year they tested in reading which they have to pass to move on to 4th grade and also they tested in Math. If you can believe this, their math class was an hour and a half every day, all year long. Demi really did well in math and gave it her all. But do you know what I found out last week? The Math TAKs test does not even count in their grades, hard to believe! I guess like everything there is nothing that is perfect but to focus focus on something so huge in this district to have it not count makes no sense to this mom. I came to find out this year more so in the past that she is such a social butterfly (Okay she has always been this way but has always made the AB and A honor roll)and that although she loves school and her friends, education is not her only priority at school? Hmm? This year 2008-2009 was the first time she didn't end up on the AB honor roll. Maybe she isnt going to be an AB student but I know she is capable. I always felt like I was judged by how well I matched up to others and told myself I would not do that to Demi. But it is hard. Why? I am judging myself based on her grades, could I have done more? Or is this the time they have to decide as 8 and 9 year olds that it is all about them and being RESPONSIBLE? I personally think they expect so much from them and have this year. The saddest part for me is that I don't think the the teachers enjoy teaching and how they have to teach because of the TAKS testing. Isn't it sad that they dont have time to laugh and enjoy what they are learning? That kids can't be kids because every 5 minutes someone is getting a number. This is another issue with me but I will save this for another time. I remember always having so much fun and enjoying school and being with teachers who did as well. I really believe that you have to make the most of your situation and surroundings because nothing is perfect. I try to remind Demi that it is a privilege to get an education here in the US and so many of us take that for granted. I will say that I do appreciate our teachers as a whole and all the love and encouragement they give our children on a daily basis. Thank you from the bottom of my heart!

Again I will say that I am so proud of her and am so appreciative that she is a well rounded child with a love for life. She never lets a second go by without living it and that brings me joy and exhaustion. But I wouldn't trade it for anything! So I am going to enjoy her accomplishments and who she is and not define this one year to who she is and or will become. I am going to surprise her and her best friend tonight with dinner out, a nighttime swim and whatever else comes our way today. I will be back to post a picture of Demi at her award ceremony today. Oh and did I say how much I am looking forward to a new school year and a new set of teachers and a new word of the year while leaving the "Responsibility" word behind!!!! Way to go Demi and 3rd grade students at Donna Park.

Have a wonderful Friday,
Diana

1 comment:

Arving Rana SEO said...

You have written a very nice post thanks for sharing i would like to read more post like this in future. quill cyber monday sale deals